Receiving Medical Treatment Abroad – Belgium

Information on social security coordination between EU member states for obtaining medical coverage and planned health care…

As of 1 May 2010, new regulations on European social security coordination entered into force, helping cooperation between member countries, and limiting the number of documents needed for citizens.

Form S2, for planned medical treatment, replaces the E112, while form S1 (replacing E106, E109, E120 and E121) is used to register for health care.

  • For an introduction to the coordinated EU Social Security forms and claims process: Click here
  • For a clear, graphical Flow chart summarising the ways in which health care costs may be met : Click here (PDF)

Note: The European Health Insurance Card, EHIC (formerly the E111) is still the same.

Form S1: Registration for Health Care Cover

A person living in one EU country, insured in another, can register for health care cover with the S1 form (former E106, E109, E120 and E121). This also applies to people retiring abroad, as well as families of a person working abroad.

Form S2: Planned Medical Treatment

EU residents are allowed to planned medical treatment in another member country. In order to benefit from European health insurance agreements, the form S2 (ex-form E112), must be obtained from the health insurance institution of the country of residence.

Coverage varies and is dependant on the type and the country where the procedure will take place. Health authorities can explain which costs will be covered. However, in principle, costs are only covered for treatments recognised in the country of residence.

  • The European Commission provides detailed information on planned medical treatment: Click here
  • The UK’s National Health Service (NHS) has details on Planned Medical Treatment: Click here

How to apply for an S2 (or E112)

You will need to apply to your local health commissioner for their written agreement to recommend funding for treatment. In making this decision, your local commissioner will need to be satisfied that:

  • A UK NHS consultant has recommended in writing that you be treated in the other EU country, and that a full clinical assessment has been carried out to demonstrate that the treatment will meet your specific needs.
  • The costs of sending you abroad for treatment are justified against the health commissioner’s responsibilities for spending money efficiently and fairly, in the interest of all the patients they look after.
  • The treatment is available under the other country’s state health scheme.
  • You are entitled to treatment under the NHS.


  • For country specific information from the NHS: Click here

Hospital treatment

Hospital treatment in another EU country requires prior authorisation from the health authorities of the country of residence. The cost of the treatment is covered under the terms of the country of treatment. In some countries, this means that some of the treatment has to be paid upfront by the patient, a cost that is reimbursed later (except in Switzerland).

Without prior authorisation, there is no guarantee that the cost for hospital care will be met.

Non-hospital treatment

Non-hospital treatment is possible with or without authorisation.

  • Treatment without authorisation: The patient meets the costs themselves and may obtain reimbursement later, on the basis of the rules in the country where they are covered for health care. If the treatment costs more in the country of treatment than in the country of residence, it is up to the patient to pay the difference
  • Treatment with authorisation: The costs of the treatment are met, with additional reimbursement if applicable. In the case of Switzerland, this option is not available